There will be no Sociolinguistics Lab meeting this week, due to GLEAMS (Graduate Linguistics Expo At Michigan State), although all are welcome to attend any and all GLEAMS sessions! A special congratulations goes to Alex Mason and Matt Savage for their talk Style and Attitude: The Social Evaluation of the BET Vowel, which they presented at NWAV earlier this month. If you missed their talk in New York, your chance to see their encore performance is Saturday, November 3, 2018 at 3:55pm in Wells Hall, B-342.
GLEAMS is open to the public, and begins Friday, November 2, 2018 at 1:00pm (Wells Hall B-342)
The next sociolinguistics lab meeting will be on November 9, 2018 at our regular time (2:00pm), where attendees of NWAV 47 Workshops will present synopses of the sessions they attended. Presentations are scheduled to run as follows:
- 2:00 – 2:20 Computational sociolinguistics and eye-tracking for sociolinguistics
- 2:20 – 2:40 Automated, non-invasive phonetic measurements [demo ISCAN]
- 2:40 – 3:00 Best Practices in Sociophonetics [demo Clox]
- 3:00 – 3:20 Integrating undergrads into corpus studies/data collection
- 3:20 – 3:30 Plan any future in-house workshops on the above, depending on need/interest
If you didn’t get a chance to attend NWAV, or you attended NWAV, but not any of the workshops, this is your chance to catch up on what you missed!