The Sociolinguistics lab will be sending many projects to the 47th Annual NWAV Conference at New York University in New York City from October 18-21, 2018, including several talks! Congratulations to Silvina Bongiovanni, Monica Nesbitt, Matt Savage, and Alex Mason for getting accepted!
There will be practice talks in the weeks leading up to the conference, and all are invited to attend lab meetings to learn more and/or provide feedback!
Please see the Sociolinguistics lab calendar for specific dates of each practice talk!
- TRAP: The loss of tensing in Michigan (Monica Nesbitt)
- Style & attitude: The social evaluation of the BET vowel (Matt Savage & Alex Mason)
- On the relationship between vowel nasalization and nasal weakening: Evidence from a Caribbean and non-Caribbean dialect of Spanish (Silvina Bongiovanni)
- It’s a TRAP!: The trigger for the Elsewhere Shift in Lansing, Michigan (Alex Mason)
- Attitudes toward TRAP in Michigan (Monica Nesbitt)
- “It’s an American Symbol!”: Non-native speakers’ take on remarkable LIKE (Irina Zaykovskaya) – Practice Talk: October 5, 2018; Wells Hall B243; 12:30pm-3:00pm via Skype